Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Adele obsession continues

I've been doing quite a bit of painting this week on a three-piece, cane-backed living room set.

The mahogany finish on this set couldn't be tamed by the latex Kilz leftover from painting the house last fall, so after two coats and continued bleed-through, I conceded that fight and bought some Zinsser oil-based primer. (FYI--after trying this stuff, I'm never going back to using Kilz on furniture again!)

My husband was kind enough to help me put on the Zinsser, so that made painting on a *third* coat of primer <rolls eyes> a bit more bearable. One coat of paint is now on each piece and I'll be hitting them up with their seconds today and tomorrow.

The point of this story? Besides knowing the furniture will be truly white (and in the case of the settee, grey) once they're fully painted and sealed?

I've continued listening obsessively to Adele while doing all this work.

See, I tried unsuccessfully last Friday to buy tickets to Adele's concert in Asheville, NC in June. You should have seen me sprint into the house at noon after getting home early from picking up the boy from preschool. I literally skittered sideways to make the turn to where the laptop sat.

However, the fleeting high of the moment was cruelly and instantaneously destroyed when I realized the tickets were already. sold. out. A mere minute after going on sale!

I'm truly not a melodramatic person, but I did simultaneously curse and shed a tear at this point. Then my pragmatic side returned, and I promptly put a wanted ad on the Asheville Craigslist for tickets. Which has only resulted in craploads of spam...sigh.

Though her album came out yesterday, I haven't had a chance to go out and buy it yet. I don't do iTunes and the like...call me old-fashioned...I'll take that as a compliment. :) So, I've been trying to console myself by watching/listening to her various live performances.

She was on Letterman Monday night, performing "Rolling in the Deep":


God, this woman's voice is transcendental.

Her Tiny Desk Concert for NPR is utterly brilliant. Here's what NPR had to say about it, which I just loved:

Moments before performing, Adele breezed up to our makeshift stage with little fanfare, and proceeded to blaze through her set without so much as bothering to take off her gloves. Between songs, she showcased the mile-wide chasm between her mesmerizing singing voice and her far less polished speaking voice, occasionally even unleashing a truly magnificent cackle. At 22, Adele still isn't quite fully formed as an artist — which, after witnessing this set, is really saying something. She may well get even better, and even now, she's a marvel.

And I found her performance last month at the Tabernacle in London on YouTube. Prepare to have your socks knocked off.

One and Only - love, love, love this song


Set Fire to the Rain


Take It All


Lovesong


Turning Tables


Don't You Remember


Someone Like You


Here's to hoping I can find tickets between now and June, because as much as I've enjoyed watching these videos, they've only made me want to see her in-person more than ever...

Erin

1 comment:

  1. ohhh so sorry you didn't get tickets! I hope it works out for you.
    My daughter jamie is a huge fan of her also. (and I might add a bit obsessive also)
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.