Thursday, August 16, 2012

Home again, home again...


...jiggity jig.

(Yes, I'm a dork who quotes nursery rhymes.)

After two trips in the past three weeks, I'm totally out of sorts in regards to blogging.

There's so much I want to share and my mind lurches into warp speed when I consider what to write about first. But in the end, all I do is work myself into a mental tizzy and walk away from the computer. Ha!

Fear not, coherent posts will be forthcoming. I've been sewing and tinkering with much gratification in the craft room between trips.

And we also brought home a litter of piglets--which are all kinds of tiny adorableness--and a momma sow the other day.  (I never blogged about raising pigs last year, so be prepared for a couple of retroactive pig posts.)

Plus, I've finished several projects around the house I keep meaning to write about, but need to photo first.

So, in an attempt to get back into the swing of things, here are a few pictures from the first of the two recent trips. 

Jacob and I traveled to Bryson City, North Carolina--located in the gorgeous Great Smokey Mountains--and we met up with one of my dearest friends and her little daughter for an extended weekend.

We stayed in a rustic, green-tin-roofed cabin situated on a sunny dirt road deep in Bear Country in the prettiest mountain hollow.









The view from the front porch, overlooking another homestead in the hollow, made my heart swell a little bit.



As did the property's barn, vegetable garden, whimsical landscaping, and wildflowers flowers growing at will. (Is it weird that I enjoy vacationing in the country when I already live in the country?)




I was totally envious of the healthy corn and red tomatoes

Succulents in old boots

Hibiscus on a hillside

Swan planter shot for Ali

Marigolds in and around an old wheelbarrow



Trickling creek that fed a spring on the property


We hiked in part of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park and visited a waterfall. Then we tubed down the Deep Creek.




My birthday was a week before the trip, and my talented, creative and generous friend also presented me with this beautiful embroidery that she made!  It now resides proudly in the craft room.  Isn't the detail wonderful?



It was inspired by this art quote I'd pinned several months ago and I couldn't adore this handmade present more!
via

But mostly we let the kids play while we gabbed in our jammies, drank coffee, and ate cobbler.  :) Which means this was a most excellent trip.

Where has this summer taken you?


9 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! That place looks stunning! And it makes perfect sense that the country girl like to vacay in the country ;) Thanks for thinking of me with that CUTE swan planter. LOVE it!!!! Can't wait to see pics of the piggies. I might die of their adorableness! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful place! and what a great trip! :)
    i just got back today (8 hrs in the car each way!) from a road trip with my kiddos. i took them to massachusetts for a couple days. :) i hope to share some pictures soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Packers and movers in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love that area of this gorgeous country we live in!!... We bravely travel to that area in the fall ...(along with thousands of others!!LOL) but no matter.... My "Besties" and i are totally addicted to the Smokies... We meet up with another friend who happens to live in the Maryville area... and pretty much do what you just described!!! Oh I can hardly wait to get back up there!!!! Love your blog and so enjoy reading your posts!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! What a trip! You know you're a country girl when you leave your own country to visit someone else's for holidays!! Looks like a great vacay! And what a lovely hand-stitched gift. Cherish that forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful trip, Erin! Perfectly rustic and relaxing. Can't wait to see the piglets ~ did you name one of them PIGLET? : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos... what a charming place to stay! The embroidery is so beautiful... what a special gift. Can't wait to see what you have been up to and your piglets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful place to visit...thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just took a wonderful trip via your beautiful post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.