Monday, November 15, 2010

Desk Redux

This desk had been at my mom’s house for years and years. It may have been her mother’s, in fact, though I can’t remember and it’s a little late to call her right now to find out! 


Anyway, I got this lovely but rather battered and scratched piece when we moved into our current house three years ago. And it’s been calling for a coat of paint ever since.

Can you see the wear?

And tear? And bumps and bruises? She's practically screaming, "FIX ME UP!!"

 That call was mercifully answered earlier this month.

Using some leftover Benjamin Moore Buxton Blue from my son’s room repaint, this gal is fresh and back to exceeds her former glory. She's positively radiant now!

And now sporting some lovely vintage glass knobs, too, courtesy of my Mom. (I come by my passion for antiques and vintage items honestly.)
Her right side's her best side. :)  Don't you just love the paneling and the scroll work on the sides, front and top?

I distressed her ever so slightly and that was it. Why did it take me so long to do this?!?

Her true color is closer to a robin's egg blue than the photos let on as it was an overcast day when I took the pictures.  Regardless, she looks like a million bucks and I'm so happy to have a beautiful place to work now.




Linking to:



















Photobucket





















Furniture Feature Fridays

13 comments:

  1. WOW! that is sooo pretty! what a great find- love the details on it, and the color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Very jealous I am still working on a place for me. But I have hope it will be as pretty as yours someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's totally FAB! I am so in love with grey right now.
    Thank you so much for your great comments over at MommaHen's coop! I love the vinegar ideas. I have been using vinegar to clean....as far as the conditioner, that's going to have to sit on my mind a while before I can muster up the nerve to try that one! I'm so glad you found me , now I can follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Erin....

    This really did come out great. I could tell before you even did it that it was a piece with much potential. Love the key holes. The color is fab too.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful desk. It has great lines and you chose the perfect color to really bring that out! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The desk is super pretty! All the lines are so delicate! Great color and the knobs are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I just love it..it's soo pretty, but classic pretty! What a fabulous piece!! I also envy your view of tree's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love every bit of it! I'm a big fan of glass hardware on antique dressers/desks. Looks beautiful!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  9. she really is radiant! super job.
    thanks for linking and linking back to me.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favourite colours. Although they're frustrating to take photos of accuratley, I love it when colours change a lot with different light. So gorgeous!!

    What a complete transformation you've performed!! We've got a similarly worn piece of furniture in our living room that I just can't get the motivation together to piant. I'm not very experienced at all at painting furniture and I worry I'll TOTOALLY mess it up!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This desk is beautiful! I love the color and the glass knobs really make it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great piece! Is it ok that I'm a bit jealous? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.