Saturday, May 19, 2012

Embroidery Hoop Doily Clock Tutorial


So, I'm still working on putting the finishing touches on the craft room.  It's taking longer than I'd like, but c'est la vie, right?

And speaking of c'est la vie, as I was getting ready to make this clock, I pulled out my Canon Rebel to photograph the steps, and it's. not. working.  Eeeeeee!!!!!

The battery's charged but the camera simply won't turn on.  I shook it gently and it sounds like there's something rattling around inside, which is obviously not good.  Bleurgh.  Luckily I still have a my little point-and-shoot, so that's the camera I used for this post (and will have to use in future posts for the foreseeable future!)

Well, I was able to cross off one of the "final touch" to-do items this afternoon when I made an embroidery hoop clock with a doily face.  I love doilies and since the craft room needs a clock, I couldn't resist the touch of granny chic.

Here's a peek of how it turned out.



If you'd like to make your own, these are the supplies you'll need:
-embroidery hoop (I used a 10" one and painted the outer hoop in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White)
-piece of drop cloth or other fabric large enough to put in hoop
-doily
-ArtMinds clock movement kit for 1/4" surfaces (from Michaels)
-ArtMinds "Designer Clock Hands" (also from Michaels; I bought these longer ones than what came with the movement kit because they fit the scale of the hoop better)
-embroidery needle
-white embroidery thread
-hot glue gun
-scissors

A shot of the movement kit and clock hands I used


Directions
1. Stretch the drop cloth over the inner hoop, then place the outer hoop on top and tighten.


2. Lay the doily on top of the drop cloth and center it as best you can.



3. Mark where the center hole in the doily lays, then with a pair of scissors, snip a hole for the movement kit, which will be inserted in a later step.  (Note: I didn't do this until after Step #4 and it was a major pain in the booty, so do it at this point and save yourself a headache.)

4. With white embroidery thread (I used 2-ply) tack down the outer edge of the doily to the drop cloth. Tie off the embroidery thread.

Sorry about the blurriness!  The zoom on the P&S (I keep wanting to type POS...hehe) doesn't focus particularly well.


5.  Insert the movement kit from the back and through the hole in the drop cloth and center of the doily.




6. Stack the clock hands in this order: hour hand, minute hand, second hand.  Secure in place with hardware included in set.



7. Carefully turn over the clock and trim the excess drop cloth, leaving enough to fold over.


8.  Take a 6-8" length of embroidery thread and thread it through the movement kit.  Hot glue the thread to the inside back of the hoop to support the movement kit.



9. Snip the drop cloth every inch or so, then fold it over and hot glue in place.





10. Insert battery into the movement kit, adjust the hands, and the clock is ready to hang!



Hope you're having a great weekend!
-Erin












Sharing at:



















freckled laundry







{Primp}




shabby creek cottage




15 comments:

  1. Very COOL...it would look pretty in my craft room too! Thanks for sharing this great idea.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Erin!!!! Love this! Can't wait to see more (ps - I'm sitting in Cassie's guest room as I type this - YAY)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, thanks for sharing the tutorial. I have framed doilies hanging in my sewing room and I could use a clock in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! What a cute and unique idea for a clock. It turned out so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a sweet clock! I just did a framed hoop project, and it is up on my blog right now :)

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I'll be featuring you next week at the Knick of Time Tuesday Vintage Style Party - thanks so much for sharing it this week. There will be an "I Was Featured" button waiting at the party for you!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely adorable! I just love it..thank you do the great tutorial too!! Looking forward to seeing the spiffed up craft room - it will be perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE embroidery hoop art!!!!!! How clever to make it into a clock! Very pretty, Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been featured on Whistlin' Wednesday on Be Wit'n Wise!

    http://bewitnwise.blogspot.com/2012/10/ww-embroidery-hoop-doily-clock.html

    Thanks for being so awesome and sharing your awesomeness online!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Erin,
    I love your tutorial. Could you please contact me if you don't mind.
    hugs
    Karen B.~ Todolwen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.