Sunday, May 6, 2012

Getting My Craft On (and a Peek of the Craft Room)


Hi everyone,

Hope your weekend has gone well! We went to a friend's birthday party last night and I'm so wishing I'd remembered to take my camera.

Our friend is working on an historically accurate restoration of an 1840 plantation home on 20 secluded acres east of Greensboro, NC. Being on the property felt like you'd stepped back in time. My husband went over early Saturday morning to help pit-cook half of a 350 lb. sow for the event, and Jacob and I joined him in the evening. We toured the house, walked the gorgeous property, rode mules, enjoyed a plethora of delicious food, and listened to live bluegrass music around a roaring bonfire. 'Twas a fun night!

Today, I've been piddling around the house, working a bit more on my craft room. I've made serious headway in this room in the last two weeks and I can finally see the light at the end of tunnel!   This was the chaos a month ago.


Now, look...you can see the floor!


What you can't see here is that I've organized, sorted, thrown away, and whipped this room into a much greater semblance of order.  Though the rest of my house is decorated in a more understated style, this room is colorful and happy with a vintage vibe.  Accents of aqua, red, and light blue, along with colorful artwork and Cath Kidston-type fabrics will abound.

Here are a few peeks of some of the details in the space.

My new sewing station is a white farm table; the planked top is wrapped in oilcloth

This is one of the soon-to-be-finished details: the space above the sewing station will be a gallery wall, filled with framed artwork and fabric in embroidery hoops
Finished candles reside in a chippy blue bookshelf--which has been thoroughly organized!
Added a little Cath Kidston love to my blue desk

Though I'm still working on the finishing touches, which will (fingers crossed) come together in the next week, I just had to do some crafting on Friday evening with all the progress that's been made.

With the sewing machine set up and ready at a moment's notice, I whipped out a trio of lavender-filled sachets using some new, gorgeous floral Japanese quilting fabric.  Then I made a couple paper buntings with scrapbook paper and baker's twine.  I'll share photos of these in my next post, but I do have something to show you now from this bout of crafting mania that I'm completely smitten with!


I've been wanting to try my hand (hehe...) at embroidery for awhile, so I took the plunge Friday night.

I was looking for a small embroidered piece of fabric art to go on the gallery wall, and I was leaning towards something with a sweet, vintage chicken on it.

After searching online for an image to inspire me, I found one at Cornflower Creations on Etsy.  It's my favorite shop for vintage-style embroidery and I purchased a couple redwork chicken towels from Jacklyn, the owner of Cornflower Creations, last year.  My imitation of the hen on this apron that Jacklyn sold is intended to be the highest form of flattery.  I mean, a little red hen carrying a bouquet of purple flowers?  How can you not smile at that?

I used a muslin remnant and in a couple hours finished this happy hen, which I can't wait to hang up in the craft room!

She reminds me of my recently departed Lulu

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'll be back tomorrow with a May Giveaway!
-Erin

Sharing at:
{Primp}

 Momma Hens Coop

shabby creek cottage

freckled laundry

12 comments:

  1. wow-i love all the glimpses! it looks like such a bright and happy place! and you did awesome with that embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute chicken... when do we get to see the entire completed room?? Waiting waiting waiting... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG- I'm so jealous of your craft room! That little embroidered hen is just adorable. I so want one! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a cute space. Loved your home in the Romantic Prairie Style magazine. Wish you had remembered your camera, too. Sounds like a wonderful place. Oh, how I miss my home town of Greensboro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin it looks really promising. I loved your chicken with the Sophia Lauren eyelashes... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin,
    Keep up the good work with the embroidery! It looks great, and your craft room looks a bit like mine right now. That is the sign of a highly creative person, or so they tell me. I just have to take a day every few days and put everything BACK where it belongs. LOL. Thanks for the link to the shop. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That embroidered hen is SO cute!!!! I can't wait to see your finished craft room!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh you know, i'm going to be loving that craft room of yours...i've already gasped at all the sneak peeks of CK delightfulness!!
    that embroidered chicken is so adorable...i love it, you did a great job on it!
    looking forward to seeing the rest of the room and your crafty projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooooh, all the sneak peeks look amazing!! Dying to see the rest! LOVE that sweet hen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for linking up your pretty little hen! Love the glimpses of all your details. Looking forward to the full reveal! I've been cleaning my hoard of an office since yesterday afternoon. Finally decided to take a break and surf my air your laundry friday links. (I still can't see floor yet!)

    xo,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, and not only that little hen is pretty. your whole craft room is... such transformation, want to see more pixs. Meanwhile, come link it up at our linky party http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/ .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.