Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Morning Music: Sia


It's been awhile since I've put up a Monday Morning Music post.  But this infrequent series is back today with a good entry!

Sia Furler, known mononymously as Sia, is an Australian jazz-pop singer and songwriter.  As you'll see shortly, she's quirky as hell, full of joy, and out-of-this-world talented.



Now, I'm not going to pretend like I've known about and loved Sia for years.  In reality, I only found out about her a few months ago thanks to a Flo Rida song on the radio.

Flo who?

(He's a mainstream rapper whose recent dance single "Wild Ones" was written in part by Sia and features her vocals.)

Now, I could take or leave Flo Rida's rapping.  (Sorry, Flo.) But Sia's voice completely enchanted me.  I went home and made a beeline for Google after hearing "Wild Ones" to find out just whose beautiful throaty, soulful voice I was hearing against the dance beat and vacuous lyrics.

Well, long story short, I have a new musical obsession that I'm going to gently force on you

Sia's been recording for more than a decade, but she's recently hit the mainstream for her writing and vocal contributions to dance songs.   (Word is that she's working on songs for Rihanna's next album.)

However, in the last 10 years, she's put out several albums of her own that feature none of the beat-heavy dance tunes that are raising her profile at the moment.  Her best works--in my opinon--are her jazz-influenced, downtempo, and more indie-style songs.

Rather than me ramble on more, let's let Sia do her thing and convince you of her utter amazingness.

"Day Too Soon" from Some People Have REAL Problems (2008)




"Breathe Me" from Colour the Small Ones (2006)




"Soon We'll Be Found" from Some People Have REAL Problems (2008)




"I'm in Here" from We Are Born (2010)




The haunting "My Love" from The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Soundtrack (2010)



And finally, after extolling all the virtues of her non-uber-commercialized work, I have to admit, I do really like her latest collaboration with French DJ/producer extraordinare David Guetta.   Get ready to get your club on!  :)

"She Wolf (Falling to Pieces)" from Nothing But the Beat 2.0 (David Guetta)





2 comments:

  1. OMG....Erin, my oldest son sent me this video of Sia ages ago and I have been hooked on her ever since. Isn't she amazing!!! I have all her CD's and love playing her all the way to NY when I take that 7 hour drive to visit family. So talented.

    Thanks for spreading the Sia gospel.

    janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    PS...have you heard her when she was with the group ZERO 7 ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there you go, I am Australian and I had never heard of her!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.